Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Baby Number 1!

We found out I was pregnant on May 19, 2015! I took the test first thing in the morning and wasn't expecting much. We had only been trying a couple of months. When I saw the second line I got major butterflies. It didn't feel real! I left the test in the bathroom and pulled Jake out of bed to come see. He looked at it, gave me a big hug and kiss and said, "Congratulations!" Haha. He promises he'll react better next time. ;) After the initial shock wore off we were both SO excited!


Our announcement to the world at 11 weeks, right after we heard the heart beat for the first time.


I had an easy pregnancy. I was sick for about a month, but was able to function through it. We didn't have any complications and there were only a few emergency craving McDonald's runs. One of which was on Thanksgiving. Not my finest moment. ;)



The Birth Story:

I was 41 weeks and 1 day pregnant when I went into labor. Which basically translates to 5,000 weeks pregnant. I was very pregnant. We had a super busy day. We went to Lowe's, Costco, Wal Mart, and dinner with my parents for their Christmas present. I had noticed some contractions during the day, but nothing that seemed out of the ordinary. I got in the shower that night and had my first real labor contraction. It was definitely stronger than all the others. The thought that I could be in labor crossed my mind, but I didn't want to get my hopes up, so I didn't say anything to Jake. After a few more like the first I finally admitted that I miiiiight be in labor! 

After an hour of contractions that I couldn't talk through, Jake decided it was time to call the midwife (Melissa Mayo). I was still in denial and was so nervous that she was going to drive all the way out to our house, and I wasn't going to be in labor. It all seems so obvious now! Melissa got here and confirmed I was indeed going to have a baby, so to try and get some sleep. Yeah, right. My contractions were 2-3 mins apart and 1 minute long from the start and they HURT. Sleep definitely wasn't happening. 

After another hour or so, we filled the birth tub. That is where I had planned to have the baby. I kept saying that I didn't want to get in yet because I was afraid the pain was going to get so much worse, and I wanted to save that relief for later. That mentality lasted all about 30 mins. :) The tub felt nice, but I was starting to feel panicky. The whole time I was in denial and was resisting the idea that this was happening and I couldn't go back. Looking back I would have been in a much better place mentally if I would have accepted each contraction and relaxed/got excited rather than resisting and pretending it wasn't happening. You live and you learn! 

I got to a point where I wanted to escape. I didn't want to give birth, I didn't want to be awake, and I didn't want a baby. I just flat out wanted to be done. I was in full blown panic mode and didn't know how to handle the pain anymore. Jake was an INCREDIBLE support. He was scared too, but he didn't show it, and followed me from room to hallway to shower to tub to bed over and over again as I worked through the contractions. 

I wasn't dilating past a 9. My contractions were right on top of each other, but my water needed to break so I could finish dilating and start pushing. I practically demanded Melissa break my water, and she did. After that I stayed on the bed and soon after started pushing. I pushed for about 3 hours. I had planned on having my parents at the house to see the baby immediately after he was born, but in the thick of things I didn't want anyone going or anyone coming. Everything needed to stay the same. Ryan Thomas Apple was born at 7:03am on Sunday morning (January 31st) weighing 8 lb 4 oz, 21 1/2 inches long. 

Seeing him for the first time was amazing. Suddenly there was a connection between all the kicks and rolls we had felt, and this perfect little person. He came out mostly bald, but with a little red hair. He nursed like a champ! We called my parents right after he was born and they got here about an hour later. Everyone was so excited to meet our boy. 

Would I do a home birth again? Maybe. I don't regret doing it, but I'm not sure I want to do it again. Some drugs sound real nice. ;) Luckily, we have a while before we have to make that decision again. We are SO grateful that everything went smoothly and everyone is healthy and happy.







No comments:

Post a Comment